Thursday, April 19, 2012

Zero Waste Journey 2 : Making of the Centre

Coming from God's Own Country ,  getting drenched in monsoon is not new to me. I love the huge droplets that fall on the large canopy above ... long after the rain stops,  water droplets fall  from the trees.. No "poppykkuda" (a popular umbrella brand in Kerala) can save us from these ferocious monsoons. Northeast monsoon brings thunderstorms and lightning. Rain has always brought joy.. the feeling that the trees you have planted is not starved of water, somewhere a farmer is benefiting from the downpour.. 


The making of Zero Waste Management (ZWM) centre started in Feb 2011. KHB gave an approval to build a structure not with mortar and concrete . With the available budget from AID, we built a structure with iron poles and cut stones. The roofing was of tarpaulin . After the project launch on April 9th 2011, by the third week, Bangalore was getting good showers. Somehow, I wouldn't sleep when it is raining.. There was a very deep fear in me that the tarpaulin will not hold the water. To confirm my fears, one day I saw water holding on the tarpaulin and realised we are in for trouble. 
AID team volunteering to carry the heavy tarpaulin with Srini
There was a heavy downpour one evening and the fear made me rush down to see the state of the centre. I was standing inside the centre, when a heavy metal frame fell few inches from me. I just saw that the women were all out and it was just me inside the centre... Just then for my luck, the block estate manager , Gopi walked in and he had the presence of mind to cut open the tarpaulin to let water into the centre. A smart move to ensure there was no further weight on the roof.  I must admit that for the next few days, I dreaded rain..


I cannot forget how Venkat Hari from AID arrived right in time to make decisions on the roof - it not just helped in getting the understanding of the situation at the centre, but ensured there was emergency funding released for repairing the damage.


The making of the centre has given me contacts of blacksmith , masons, electrician and contractor. Finally, with a good support from Venkat, AID Seattle team, and Senthil from AID we got a contractor engaged for a proper roofing of the centre - a very important and vital step to ensure safety for future.


Moral of the story : Any well thought project can have surprises like these, how we react to it is purely dependent on the people involved in it .. In this case, AID team had a good understanding of the field information and they were able to mobilise more funds .


MC Members Rajesh and Mr.Felix with AID team Balaji during construction of ZWM centre
Zero Waste Series of Blogs on Sustainability :
http://meeresh.blogspot.in/2012/04/zero-waste-journey-3-environmental.html

http://meeresh.blogspot.in/2012/04/zero-waste-journey-4-economic.html
http://meeresh.blogspot.in/2012/04/zero-waste-journey-5-people.html


Courtesy  : Estate Manager, Gopi who saved my life, Senthil from AID for being a good moral support, Venkat Hari from AID, AID Seattle team who got funding to get the new roofing, Balaji  from AID for getting  funds on time for the entire infrastructure.. Last but never the least, people like Mayank and Samarendra who were providing support during the construction whenever we called for help !

No comments:

Post a Comment